What To Do After Flooding
- Make sure water source is cut off.
- Remove excess water by mopping, blotting or wet-vacing.
- After removing the lamps and tabletop items wipe excess water from wood furniture.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Put old shopping bags, aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn the air conditioning to maximum position for drying in summer.
- If you have colored rugs Remove them from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe and dry place.
- Pick-up all the loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don’t leave the fabrics in place if they are wet. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don’t leave magazines, books or other colored items on wet carpet or floors to prevent possible dye migration.
- Don’t ever use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don’t use television or other household appliances.
- If the ceiling is wet don’t turn on ceiling fixtures, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.